My Polycom desk phone cannot activate or get service, and the screen reads Line Unregistered.
A hiccup during the device provisioning process may have resulted in incorrect information being pushed to the phone. This can manifest in problems both in the phone setup and the system back end.
Often, simply power cycling the phone will allow it to redownload the proper configuration in full and help correct this issue.
To power cycle your phone
- Unplug the phone from its power source.
- Wait a full minute or longer.
- Plug it back in.
- Give the phone several minutes to start back up and reaquire its configuration.
Enter DNS Server Addresses
It is possible that a problem with the router is preventing the device from communicating with the server. DNS settings on the device can override DNS settings on the router. Changing the DNS settings on the phone may resolve this error.
To change the DNS settings on the device
- On the phone, go to Menu > Settings > Advanced.
- If prompted, enter the MAC password.
- Select Admin Settings > Network Config.
- Go to DNS Servers.
- In the Primary DNS Server field, enter 22.214.171.124.
- In the Secondary (or Alternate) DNS Server field, enter 126.96.36.199.
- Exit the Menu and wait for the device to save and reboot.
- Upon restart, activate as normal if required.
If the phone continues to request activation after following the steps above, please attempt to change boot server.
Change Boot Server
The phone tries to contact the boot server in order to download firmware and configuration files. Setting this option to Static may help in resolving this error.
To change the phone’s Boot Server setting
- Using the phone’s IP address and a computer on the same network as the phone, open a web browser and access the phone’s web interface (GUI). (Refer to manufacurer’s documentation for detailed guidance on accessing the phone’s web GUI.)
- Click Settings > Provisioning Server > DHCP Menu.
- In the Boot Server field, select Static (default is Custom+Opt66).
- Click Save.
- Allow the phone several minutes to restart and attempt to obtain the proper configuration.
Note: On some devices, the default Boot Server setting on the device is Static. In this case, change the Boot Server setting to Custom+Opt66, click Save, and allow the device to restart.
If the above continues to result in the Line Unregistered error (or you find you are unable to complete these steps on your own), please contact Elley Communications support for additional assistance.